Final! (..final1, at least)
This is the final image of my personal still project. after some feedback i got on forums :
it was mentioned adding a character, .. but characters are an issue : being an env artist, that’s what i focus on . When i tried to have chars in my last personal still .. they weren’t at the same level as the hard-surface parts, and i don’t want people to be distracted by a bad skin shader or similar..
So i thought , if not chars .. at least some storytelling element would help , i came up with the idea of the cordon.. (like a crime scene, or a contagion zone .. ) it’s just a minor element but adds some plot , as well as just phyisically filling some space in the road area , and ,as for composition , it mirrors the curve of the arch above.
The other update is i’ve added displacement to the foreground bricks … being those so close up, makes a nice difference to have the detailed silhouette and better shading… (and it wasn’t much work , i just added some subd, a displace modifier an used weight paint to tweak intensity in different areas)
Latest feedback i got -just after publishing as final on BA, argh! :) – was a mock-up for better composition and perspective. A great suggestion .. especially considering i’m still bothered that my last big personal project was precisely too simmetrical in composition . I think i’ll keep it this way and wrap up, but , i’ll remember that , check the mockup at CGS forums, quite interesting :
Diffcol pass and wireframe :
Video ‘post mortem’ project analysis :