CG Sketchbook , notes and tutorials

updates to my texture library

Below, some test renders of new textures and ‘shaders’ i  just made for my texture library,  by shader i just mean a texture nodegroup preset : e.g. top and bottom left use the same group ‘peeling plaster’ with different settings :brick color can be changed with a color picker , the ratio of plaster/bricks with a slider (quite simply controls a threshold node on a greyscale mask , allows to have bigger or smaller patches of visible bricks ), the plaster color and spec can be changed (plugging in another preset node) .

It’s really handy to prepare such libraries as nodegroups instead of simply loading in pngs each time : to have fancy parameters like those bricks , or even just grouping col/spec/norm in a nice box , and hide some mapping nodes for box mapping scale and world offset , exposing only the useful params.

On the right: some base metals,  like the brick/plaster combo these are some key materials that you always need and in after project Mango i had a few things in mind to improve.

Bricks now have better bump and col maps (still based on cg bricks more than photos : harder to make them realistic this way but you get precise, clean masks to create all channels and have a nice tiling map. )Also important was -finally-  managing to create a good peeling plaster mask : this instead had to be extracted as much as possible from a real world photo , painting these things (crackles too) by hand takes forever , if you want realistc look and scaling  (actually some brushes were used -available in Mango project files – but those too are stamps extracted from photos )  the texturize Gimp plugin was very useful to make this into a nice, even tileable mask.

For the metals, the question was that in mango i only made a couple base metal maps , and they were never as good as the ones i used before (based on cgtextures stuff though , so not CC)  now , these, are also ‘base’ metals : but i want to have more variants : scratched , rough, worn painted , sligthly rusted ..etc.

Next, i’d like to do some tests on floor/wall tiles (broken ones in particular) i’ll update this post then. (update : here they are , snapshot below)

EDIT2 : Below, 2 quick tests :   left is a re-texture and re-render of an old scene (Escher’s covered alley ) , right is a kit-bashing with misc pieces from the Dome .

 

Both were done quick and dirty , no custom painting , just tileables and some vertex painting (dirt verts) , of course it shows many limits , but also showed me how useful is to have nicely ‘coordinated’ textures  : a color +specular+bump matching , previously tested and balanced , then you just ‘slap them on’ but you get something shading much better than just having a color and some generic stuff for spec or bump.

Also both renders are Cycles , but only using  direct+ao (ao added in comp) , each took 5-10 mins on cpu. I’m not having much luck with GI and decent rendertimes . But  i love the node shaders and  the speed on glossies (at least at 0 bounces, although that’s not always enough)

 

       

Advertisements

2 responses

  1. Beautiful work. They really take the light well.

    November 13, 2012 at 4:28 pm

    • Thanks 🙂 , it’s not always obvious how textures will respond to light , infact the top right metal worked well straight out of Gimp , while the bottom one took a long time going Gimp to Cycles and back to balance the 3 channels , when possible it’s great to test textures properly (taking time and using a fixed test lighting setup) before using them in a real scene.

      November 16, 2012 at 4:57 pm